A Change of Plans - Prepping for NaNo

lightstock_142210_medium_elissa__kane

I feel like I have been running around in circles these last few months. I've been busy writing and editing, but getting absolutely nowhere. So, I have decided to change it up a little.

I've been reading Writing the Fiction Series by Karen S. Wiesner and have been learning quite a bit about writing a series, including how long to wait in between books. While the author says she is willing to wait as long as needed for the next book in a series, I have read elsewhere that series books should be released about 6 months apart. I'm leaning towards them being released closer together, so I am switching gears and starting Book 2 now.

Book 2 is my NaNoWriMo novel this year, so I am starting to plan and plot my story. Since Book 1 is, for the most part, written, I'm hoping the planning for Book 2 won't take too long. Just a few new characters and the next part of the story and I am good to go!

So, for the next 7 weeks, I can't believe NaNo starts in 7 weeks, my goals are as follows:
  • Synopsis of Book 2
  • Complete outlines of Books 1 & 2
  • Character profiles for new characters in Book 2
  • Research Los Angeles
  • Research mental institutions
  • Research fires
That is what I have as of today, but I am sure there will be more added as I start to work on this new book.

Are you completely lost with all of this NaNoWriMo talk? Well, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month (or NaNo as many of us call it), a free fiction writing challenge. The goal is to write 50,000 words in a month, with the challenge running from November 1–30. Your novel must be fiction, although you can write nonfiction as a NaNo rebel. It also doesn't have to be perfect. It is basically your rough first draft. And, it is a TON of fun! I joined a local NaNo writing group and we have weekly (daily during Nov.) write-ins, workshops, and get-togethers that makes it all the more fun!

How about you? Are you taking part in NaNoWriMo this year? If so, are you planning or pantsing? Read more about planners and pantsers, here. I wish I could be a pantser, but that just isn't my style!