A little about me


Now that my blog is starting to get a little better organized I thought this would be the perfect time to introduce myself.

*Raises hand* Hi! My name is Elissa. I am an indie author writing my first mystery/suspense novel.

I didn't really start to write for enjoyment until high school. In 10th grade, I was assigned to write a research paper on someone famous. I chose Jack the Ripper. That should have been my first clue that I was going to be a mystery writer. A year later I started writing poetry. My first poem, Running to Extinction, was published in 1991. I am now an aspiring Christian indie author, currently writing a mystery/suspense series. I'll be blogging quite a bit about the series.

I am a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and a local NaNoWriMo group. I have also had the pleasure of attending the Writers' Police Academy three times. What a blast! I got to shoot bad guys, dust for fingerprints, collect contraband from a jail cell, and investigate an open grave. Good times!!!

I have been working in book publishing for almost fifteen years, so I have a pretty solid understanding of the ins and outs of publishing a book. I have also attended various trade shows, including the Christian Booksellers Association (CBA), where I worked as an author consultant during book signings.

I am a pretty seasoned blogger and have been blogging since 2006. My previous blogs were primarily about my crafts (crochet and stitching) and DIY projects. I was very fortunate to have had a pretty large following on my first craft blog, but circumstances beyond my control forced me to close it. Since then, I have had several of my craft tutorials published in craft magazines and, most recently, in a craft book.

I am a Gen Xer, so I LOVE the '80s. I can pretty much quote every line from every John Hughes movie and lyric from every Madonna song. I do pretty well on '80s trivia night. I will be writing a '80s novel for NaNoWriMo this year, which I'm super excited about! You'll probably find a lot of '80s references pop up on this blog, as well as posts about music. Music is a huge influence on my life and my writing, so I'll be sharing novel playlists and other fun musical items from time to time.

Lastly, my name, Elissa Kane, is actually a pen name. My real name is a little on the unusual side, so I thought a pen name would be easier for everyone to remember and pronounce. I figured I'd mention it in case you are looking for my other published work. You won't find it under this name. If you are an agent or publisher and would like to see my previously published work, please contact me. I'll be happy to share it with you.

Well, that is me in a nutshell. Check back tomorrow for a little info about my writing and my writing process.