Book Review: David Bowie Retrospective & Coloring Book

Copyright Year: 2016
Genre(s): Coloring Book, Crafts
ISBN: 9780399579110
Series: none
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary via Goodreads:  This retrospective presents music legend David Bowie's most idiosyncratic and indelible looksthroughout the years, withinsight intohis famed designer collaborations, fashion inspirations, and stylish illustrations perfect for adult coloring book fans.
 

Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Thin White Duke. . . . Bowie changed his style more dramatically than any other musician in history. His transformations brought about seismic cultural shifts, altering the definition of what it meant to be a popular rock star. This annotated collection of illustrations provide a remarkable overview of Bowie's nearly fifty years of evolution, featuring looks by the likes of Freddie Burretti and Kansai Yamamoto, further establishing him as the fashion king of self-invention."

. . . . . . . . . . .

I have to be honest. This is my first ever book review of a coloring book and it feels a bit weird. But, it is an adult coloring book, so I guess that makes it a little less weird. This book does combine two of my favorite things: pop culture and crafts, so it is totally up my alley.

David Bowie Retrospective and Coloring Book is primarily a coloring book, but the cover makes it one of the nicest coloring books I've seen. The cover is really nice! The stock picture above doesn't do it justice. It has a really rich navy blue paperbound cover with copper stamping that makes the cover really pop. The back of the cover has a copper stamped hand drawn picture of David Bowie. Really nice! It also has a heavier weight cover, unlike the coloring books found in art and craft stores. I found the 8" x 8" trim size perfect for me as I prefer smaller craft books. Unfortunately, it is only 64 pages. I would have liked to have seen more pages, but I guess for that trim size it works.

The content is pretty good. Each spread has facts about David Bowie on the left page and a drawing of David Bowie to color on the right. I enjoyed reading the little facts about David Bowie, which coincide with each of the drawings. As for the drawings, I thought they were fun but could have used some more background art. Some of the pages just had a drawing of David Bowie and nothing in the background. While I like a more simple coloring book, I can see that being a problem for others.

Overall, I thought this was a super fun coloring book. I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars. It would make a really fun gift for a David Bowie, music, or pop culture fan.

Disclaimer: I received a review copy of this book as part of Blogging for Books. You can read my review on the Blogging for Books site, here.